Thursday, July 19, 2007

Not going hungry, that's for sure

My family will be happy to know that I'm not going hungry here. It's amazing how a European-"style" city has so many stores that are open 24 hours. Even the grocery store is open till 11 at night, which is completely the opposite from other parts of Europe where everything closes at 8 and isn't open on at least one day a week. Here, there are fruit stands on almost every corner, and I have a big grocery store that's a five minute walk away. Tonight my host mother (yes, I believe her hair is fuschia) made me some delicious Ratatouille and what are called Vareniki. These pierogi-like pouches come in many varieties, but she made the dough from scratch and then put (slightly sour and smaller than American) cherries inside with some sugar. It's served with a kind of sour cream called Cmetana, not sure if this is where the name for shmetna came from. Very very good, besides the pits that were in the cherries. But I'm not complaining. That's all for today.

No comments: