Wednesday, August 8, 2007

How to wait in a line

Dear Russian People,
Yesterday I, a foreigner, ventured into your train station to try to buy a ticket. After walking into your station I walked around for five minutes until I could find the ticket counter. After surveying the scene I decided to wait in line at a window, only to realize 15 minutes later that you don't accept credit cards and I had to go wait in another line. Frustrated, yet still understanding, I switched into another line. Someone in front of me left the line and went to another line, labeled something to the effect of "War veterans only, documents required". Just as I reached the window, 15 minutes later, the same guy came back over and tried to cut in front of me. In broken Russian I exclaimed " Nyyyyet, I've already been in line twice, and you left!" and surprisingly he stood down and waited behind me. Repeated experience with your cutting-inclined brethren has made me more aggressive these days. Allow me to give you some tips about how Westerners wait in line. I think it might lessen the mayhem that exists at your train stations, restaurants, and other places of interest.
  • One line, one ticket counter, unless otherwise indicated. You may not tell your wife to go wait in another line to see who is served first.
  • Lines are supposed to have a shape, and are not meant to be an amorphous mass of people sticking their arms in front of each other to get ahead
  • Just because the lady at the counter who is too busy to actually look you in the eye says "Ya Clooshayoo" (I am listening) does not mean she is listening to you since you got in line after me
  • If you are drunk, you do not have special prvileges and you may not fall on top of me or other people in line. Also, you should shower.
  • If you leave the line, and don't come back for twenty minutes, you can't have your place back. Sorry, buddy.
  • Compliance with the above simple rules will ensure that excessive police presence is not necessary.
Thanks,
Foreigner

So, to avoid problems with the ticket lady I wrote down what I wanted: the times, date, etc. and amazingly walked away with a ticket to Moscow for around $130 roundtrip. I can't read anything else the ticket says but I think I know which train I need to be on and when. Phew.

3 comments:

ellejai said...

You mean you never did the you-wait-in-this-grocery-store-line-while-I-try-this-one thing? I apologize, for me and my mom. ;)

Mr. Oil said...

LJ, of course, we do it at trader joes all the time. but when everyone's doing it, it just adds to the mayhem. Plus they do it with friends and friends of friends too. I've been told there are some more orderly lines, like those for Marshrutkas (mini-vans/taxis) from the Suburbs.

Konstantin said...

I don't know how things are in StP but here in Moscow there are dozens of Bilyet offices all around the city that sell whatever tickets you need. There are no lines at all, clerks are very helpful and they can help you plan your travel. And the price doesn't differ from the price you pay at the railway station.