Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Some reflections ...

Next week I begin full time school at Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies where I'll be focusing on Russia and Eurasia. I doubt that between getting married, taking classes, and working that I'll have much time to blog. When I have a chance, I'll try, but thank you to all of you for reading. In the last couple days it's become apparent what I do and do not miss about Russia. Here's a sampling:

What I will not miss about Russia:
  • Some food: Overpriced Sushi, cucumbers for every meal
  • A haze of cigarette smoke everywhere
  • A permanent state of sweatiness, usually combined with a general grimy feeling.
  • Air conditioning that gets just cool enough to make you think it’s actually cold upon entering a building, but actually its only 2-3 degrees cooler than outside; and now you don’t even have a breeze!
  • Cell phone shop employees thinking I’m a Chechen terrorist since I had a cell phone with Arabic lettering. I actually had to get my host family to help me get a phone the first time.
  • Being afraid of the police
  • Smelly water in the showers.
  • Not having to lug 8 liters of water back to my apartment for a week’s water supply.

What I will miss about Russia:

  • The people
  • Keri the dog
  • The way that you can always find a beer at any street corner
  • Cheap food/drink: A pint of beer in a bar for as cheap as $1.75, bananas for 10 cents
  • CafĂ© Stolle's pirogs
  • Red Caviar on a Bliny, basically bliny's in general - Teremok at Sennaya Ploschad:
  • The waitresses at Bliny Domnik who took a liking to me (or pity on me) and gave me free juice
  • Knowing that I drank 8 liters of water in one week (kind of a good feeling for some reason)
  • Quickly moving escalators
  • The palaces and their grounds:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Plotter, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://plotter-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Elizabeth said...

Hi, I found your (inactive?) blog while looking for info about Russian donut shops. As an American who lives in St.Petersburg, I can relate to a lot of your observations! Although I think you mentioned something about there being fast escalators, and I tend to think the opposite.